Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Life in Business School

via


When I was unable to sleep last night I was thinking about, among many other things, what my life is like in one of the most competitive business schools in the country. Here's my reflection and thoughts:

It's no question that its is a high-stress and demanding life. At the moment when I finally finish everything on my to-do list, 5 more things are added and it seems to never actually go away. The highly competitive environment is quite exhausting. I feel the pressure to perfect everything, and everyone is trying to outsmart everyone else to beat the "curve"- not to mention pressure from parents to have that 4.0 because its whats expected of you.

Im the person that's rushing from here to there, plowing people over on the sidewalk to get to that next meeting all while responding to emails on my Blackberry. Speaking of Blackberry, its my lifeline. What would I do without be able to respond to emails about a strategic issue presentation on the go? The business students are the ones that have smartphone, laptop, iPad, and Starbucks in hand at all times. (This is me right now as I sit in the library).

What do we do when we cant sleep at night? I like to read my financial accounting textbook at 1am because you will always have a quiz within the next 3 days. Or you may try to plan out your schedule for the next 2 years of your life because you can just never be too prepared.

You never know when you will have to don your pinstripe suit. Lets be honest, everyone else at your firm will have either an Hermes or Ferregamo tie so you better too. I have to admit, I'm pretty sure we all try to out dress each other even if it is an 8am class....we are just far too competitive.

via



Our conversation are all about grades, internships, and careers:
"She interned at Goldman?!? How did she get that" "Her dad knows a departmental VP" "Oh, figures"
"Can you believe my professor was the CEO of X" "Yeah doesnt he own like 3 businesses?" "Im pretty sure thats is 750Li parked out front"

We sound like such fun people right? For the majority most of us are- of course there are those people that can never stop being serious and have a little fun.

I am not one of those people. I know how to have fun when the time is appropriate. All in all, life in business school is quite interesting.  

5 comments:

  1. loved this post! I hope your day is going well, and your week is off to a fabulous start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stressful for sure :( Journalism and American Studies departments are much different than business. I had a way more laid back experience. My stressful year (which is just like what you are experiencing now) wasn't until my last year. Thank God. I don't know how you handle the pressure. Just shows how strong you are! Good for you. Keep up the amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh goodluck with you school, sleep more so you can overcome stress bro :)

    www.thechicstyler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how overwhelming! I have days like this too, but not as intense! Good luck!

    xo M
    tobecontinuedm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. we need more people who know how to have a good time. word.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...