Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vintage: What's the Story?


I was recently at my grandparent's house to visit them one last day before I headed off to school. My grandmother went into her room and came back into the kitchen, sat down at the table, and told me to come over because she had something for me. I didn't know what to expect, really. Then she opened her hand and there was the pair of cufflinks pictured to the right.
She told me that they were a pair of her father's. I did some quick calculations in my head...these things have to be at least 100 years old.
It makes you wonder, what's the story behind something this old? I wonder where her father wore these, what exactly they are made of. It appears to be mother of pearl in the center, but other than that I'm not sure what the surrounding is constructed from. Being 100 years + old, it also makes you think of just how much history these little cufflinks have gone through.
I dont own many vintage things, but something like this is a definite keep. Not sure how often I will wear them out of fear of them going missing, but I do know I will keep them tucked away in one of my drawers.

Do you have vintage items..whats the story behind them?


3 comments:

  1. Those are fantastic, and so special! I'm actually putting a post together right now on some of my grandmother's old things I've been wearing lately... a custom-made skirt and charm bracelet straight out of the 60s. So happy that I'm the granddaughter who got to snag them haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I don't own anything vintage but I am a sucker for history. Those are amazing cufflinks - how special that she gave them to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special gift! Not only are they gorgeous, but they represent your family! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...